The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) was founded in 1948 and brings together over 1,100 members (States, government agencies, NGOs and affiliates) and some 11,000 scientists and experts from 181 countries in a unique worldwide partnership. Its mission is to influence, encourage and assist societies throughout the world to conserve the integrity and diversity of nature and to ensure that any use of natural resources is equitable and ecologically sustainable. IUCN has approximately 1,000 staff, most of whom are located in its regional and country offices, and at its Headquarters in Gland, Switzerland. IUCN is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified women and men.
The IUCN center for Mediterranean cooperation, based in Málaga Spain, is looking for a project officer responsible for the implementation of IUCN Med’s activities in DestiMED PLUS Project, in particular the coordination of the communication and transferring work packages. The selected candidate will work under the supervision of the project coordinator and with the support of a project assistant and provide, as well, support to all the other activities of IUCN Med in the project.
In addition, it will coordinate the tourism activities in the other small initiatives as well as strengthen the Protected Area community of MEET Network.
DestiMED PLUS is a capitalization project integrating the outcomes and approaches of several strategic initiatives in the area, including MEET and DestiMED. It is the next step on a journey to promote integrated planning in coastal tourism, where regional policymakers apply holistic policies that link tourism with conservation by putting in practice a concrete ICZM approach for ecotourism products in Med Protected Areas (PAs)
* Coordinate the Communication Work package (WP2) of DestiMED Plus project, under the supervision of the project coordinator. Core tasks will be: building the communication community of the project, provide strategic guidance, plan and coordinate the overall project communication actions, support communication effort of the partnership, contract consultant and services when needed, liaise with the donor and participate in key networking events;
* Coordinate the Transferring Work Package (WP4) of DestiMED Plus project, under the supervision of the project coordinator. Core tasks will be: coordinating the activities around training and capacity building, plan and provide training, identify the best approaches and technological solutions to be followed by the project for the achievements of WP4 goals. Plan and coordinate the contracting of consultant support when needed.
*Support the Project Coordinator in the implementation of the activities of the Testing Work Package (WP3), in particular around the conceptualization of the standard and indicators of governance and environmental component and the dissemination and organization of the Testing phase. Support the contracting of consultant support when requested.
*Support the Project Coordinator in the implementation of the activities expected in the Coordination Work package (WP1) and in the capitalization one (WP5), in particular ensuring technical and administrative reporting is provided.
*Implement, with support from the Projects coordinator, the coordination activities expected for the Morocco PA project and Tunisia one, in particular, coordination of consultants, communication activities, reporting and liaising with the donors
*Support the activities of MEET Network, in particular, communication and community building ones, making sure the members of the network are up to date with the activities being implemented by the Secretariat and actively participating. Support the relationship with MEET Network Board and Commercial partner
*Participate in all the project steering committees and networking events as expected by the project as well as any other key meeting related to the topic of PAs and/or tourism;
*Provide strategic input and support for the activities of positioning or exploring additional funding for tourism-related lines;
*Support other ongoing initiatives of the Ecosystem department in the creation, delivery and dissemination of key messages and dissemination of the department’s activities;
• Graduate degree (Master’s Degree) in journalism, social/environmental communication, communication sciences, marketing or a similar field or Graduate degree in environmental sciences, biology or similar.
• At 5 years proven experience in Project Management of multi partner international projects is required, previous experience with EU funding and, especially, Interreg MED programme will be an asset;
• Proven experience in administrative management, procurement and reporting of complex projects. Experience with Interreg MED programme will be an asset;
• Experience in managing and coordinating thematic working groups of several partners at project level, including trainings and capacity buiding
• Knowledge of Protected Areas, in particular concerning policy, governance and permitted uses within the PAs. Knowledge of the Mediterranean specificites and tourism use in PAs will be an asset;
• Familiarity with the international tourism sector, ecotourism and/or sustainable tourism in particular. The existence of a network of contacts in the sector will be a strong asset;
• Professional knowledge of English (written and spoken) is required. Knowledge of French will be highly considered. Knowledge of any other major language of the basin will be an asset (Spanish, Arabic, Italian,..)
• Ability to work under pressure and to deal tactfully with sensitive political issues
• Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity to gender issues
Proven skills in writing, problem solving, creativity, collaboration and willingness to innovate
Good skills in word processing, spreadsheet and computer skills
Willingness to travel frequently in the region
• The proposed gross annual salary for this position is 40.480 €
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the “Apply” button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/