The Professorship of Landscape, Water and Biogeochemical Cycles, Institute for Landscape Ecology and Resources Management, Faculty of Agriculture, Ecotrophology and Environmental Management, invites applications for a part-time position to the extent of 65 % full-time equivalent starting from October 1st, 2020 for the duration of 3 years as a
Scientific Researcher (PhD position)
The salary of the position is determined by payment group E 13 according to the collective labor agreement of the State of Hessen (TV-H).
Collaboration in the DFG-funded research group “The role of nature for human well-being in the Kilimanjaro Social-Ecological System (Kili-SES)”, especially in the sub-area “Supply of water-related NCP (Nature’s contribution to People)”. Expected work includes:
- Organization and implementation of field work over several months to collect hydrological data and water quality parameters in different landscapes at the Mt. Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
- Installation and maintenance of monitoring stations
- Development of a project database, data management and analysis
- GIS-based spatial data evaluation and GIS-based hydrological process modelling for the quantification of water-related NCP
- Degree in natural sciences (MSc or diploma)
- Knowledge in the field of hydrology and landscape analysis
- Experience in the following areas:
- Management and statistical analysis (R, Python) of hydrological data;
- Hydrological modelling
- GIS, geo-data management and databases
- High willingness to conduct fieldwork even under difficult environmental conditions
- Experience in working under tropical conditions in Africa is an advantage
- Willingness for cooperation in an interdisciplinary working environment, teamwork skills and an interest in intercultural exchange
- Very good skills in communication and presentation, both in written and spoken language, especially in English
The Justus Liebig University (JLU) aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. The JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome
Please send your application (including CV, certificates, letter of motivation, references) quoting reference number 346/09 until July 9th, 2020 to Prof. Dr. Lutz Breuer, Institute for Landscape Ecology and Resources Management, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 26, 35392 Giessen. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference. Please only submit copies of your application documents without document files or folders, as they cannot be returned after the application procedure has been completed. In case of online application, please send your application as a single PDF file to .
If you have further questions, please use the same email address for further inquiries.